Monday, March 30, 2009

Angels and Fairies

I know where they live. I have seen them fly out of their home with upturned wings and trails of pixie dust behind them, they vanish into our world. I feel the flutter of their wings in the darkness, closing my eyes and holding my breath...a split second. They are there. I felt them again tonight.
I sat back in the chair with my eyes turned down, listening to each breath. They were deep and rhythmic. The kind of breath that you know leads to a distant slumber in some far away land, full of vibrant colors. I know where they live.
I picture them riding the wave of every breath, like a surfer engages that deepest blue. The desire they have to follow it in, to ride it to the shore is what allows me to see them. To feel that flutter on my skin. I know where they live.
The muscles start to pull back and the lips curl ever so slight as this wave begins its journey. The mouth is open now and my son is yawning. His lungs are taking in air, that precious and unseen giver of life. Angels and Fairies, I know where they live. They live in my son, and as he yawns they begin their ride. Their wings flit with anticipation upon hearing this tiny creature opening a door to our world. So they fly with upturned wings on the breath of my son. I felt them again tonight. They flew right past my face and vanished into the toys and lovies that lay by the crib. That's ok I will visit them again. I know where they live.

6 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I just want to say that I think it's really sweet how much you openly adore your son. I don't know too many dads like that.

Most of them just complain about the crying and the diapers.

alohameme said...

That is neat prose there. A little rhyme too (that's great!).
Are you sure you weren't a writer instead of a policeman in your past?

Phoenix said...

Impressive. Looks like the blood of Erin runs thick in this one...

Karen M. Peterson said...

I hope Collin gets better soon!

Kalyan Chakravarthy said...

We will include Colin in our prayers.

Thanks for pouring your heart. Hope you feel better when you shared away your pain.

I cannot bear seeing my son troubled with sneezing/allergies or ear infection....can imagine the pain you both had gone thru seeing lil collin getting frew IV.

Sheri said...

I'm am so sorry that that precious little baby had to go through so much. I hope he is better now and that horrible experience is in the past. God bless you and you family.